Responsible travel in scotland
by Scottish Tourer
March 23, 2021
With lockdown rules easing and the weather improving we are anticipating that Scotland will be a popular destination this year again for staycations. Scotland is a beautiful and special country, and we all have a responsibility to look after and care for.
Promoting responsible travel in Scotland is more important now than ever before and we must all take responsibility not to be:-
- damaging the natural environmental,
- disrespecting wildlife or communities
- or littering.
Its everyone’s responsibility to protect the areas there visiting. As members of visit Scotland, we are asking all our customers to think and honour the tourism promise. The promise is a series of responsible actions and behaviours that will help preserve Scotland beauty for many more generations.
#visit Scotland, #only in Scotland, #RespectProtectEnjoy
I promise to care for Scotland's nature. I will…
- Not disturb the incredible wildlife that has roamed this epic land for centuries.
- Tread lightly to protect their habitats.
- Be considerate to farmland and livestock.
- Keep my dog on a lead when needed.
- Stick to the marked roads, tracks and paths.
- Take my litter home with me.
- Take only photos and leave only footprints.
- Observe the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.
I promise to care for Scotland's communities. I will...
- Slow down, and savour every moment of what there is to see, do and learn.
- Shop local to enjoy the best products and support Scottish makers and businesses.
- Respect the locals and their resources.
- Fáilte (embrace) and respect the Gaelic language.
- Sample the delicious, seasonal foods available all across Scotland.
- Seek out and respect the rich and diverse cultures that are found throughout Scotland.
- Avoid crowded places and come back when it’s less busy.
- Take care when exploring the great outdoors, and bring/wear the right equipment.
- Check ahead to see if there is access or parking.
- Park my vehicle safely and responsibly.
- Follow physical distancing guidance and wear my mask as required.
I promise to care for Scotland and the world's tomorrow. I will…
- Leave the car when I can and walk, cycle, paddle or use public transport instead.
- Hire an electric vehicle where possible and take advantage of the many charge points that are now available across Scotland.
- Check the green credentials of all of the businesses I use to travel, stay and explore.
- Enjoy the pure waters that run from the tap, not single-use bottles.
- Switch off the lights and look up at the stars.
Thank you for promising to keep Scotland special by exploring this incredible country responsibly.
← Cycling Tour in Scotland with your Campervan
Scotland Hidden Wildlife →